From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] stripping implementation in portage
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 18:20:58
1 On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 01:58:46PM -0400, Olivier Crete wrote:
2 > I havent looked at your new implementation (does it exist).. but yea
3 > what you wrote seems to make sense... except that I keep the source code
4 > too.. so it would bloat binary packages.. I think it should be done
5 > before the packages are made.. or maybe use separate debug and have
6 > separate debug packages like RedHat does.
7
8 Your choice of what goes into the binpkg is just that, your choice,
9 just the same as your choice of what ultimately hits the livefs.
10
11 Bit of a shift in terms of how things are designed; repositories are
12 base objects, things like package.* filtering and changing
13 (package.use) is implemented as wrappers of the repo. Wrapper base is
14 implemented, as is the filtering wrappers; for what's discussed above,
15 just need to design an appropriate contents filter.
16
17 Re: does it exist, yes (in cvs, and now living in svn), better
18 question, is it usable yet, no; core was yanked, rebuilding it. This
19 is a sizable chunk of why feature requests are on hold- either more
20 crap gets duct taped into portage, or design is corrected so
21 features/additions/tweaks/whatever is easier to do. Long term
22 maintenance/extensibility vs short term gain is the crux of it.
23
24 What you're after can be pulled off, and the specification of what
25 type of stripping to do can be left to the user's config for that repo;
26 intention is to allow you to strip sources for binpkgs fex, while not
27 stripping sources for livefs merge.
28
29 Just a question of how you define your config; the restriction/depends
30 bit referenced in the other thread relates to this, you define the
31 classes needed and define your config to use them, using alt. formats
32 should be possible (exception: OE format I don't see any way to
33 support of what I know).
34
35 So... the sources concern is moot. Hell, via the wrapper approach if you
36 wanted you would be able to define your own wrapper that splits a pkg
37 into chunks, or have the repo do it. Don't really care what you do,
38 just care correcting underlying issues, and having the remaining beast
39 flexible so people can do whatever crazy crap they want instead of
40 directly hacking portage innards.
41
42 Sidenote, wrapper approach is how install_mask/no{man,info,doc} will
43 be defined, rather then jamming crap into the core. Define it as
44 seperate chunks, and you can arbitrarily arrange it, doing whatever
45 the hell you want.
46 ~harring