From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: have portage be quiet by default
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 07:00:50
1 Zac Medico posted on Thu, 10 Nov 2011 18:11:38 -0800 as excerpted:
2
3 > I think --quiet-build would be a reasonable default, but --quiet
4 > suppresses various warning messages that I think need to be enabled by
5 > default for newbies.
6
7 What's the difference in output format between --quiet, and the output
8 one gets with parallel portage jobs (not just MAKEOPTS but emerge-jobs,
9 too) turned on (my default these days)?
10
11 If it's the same as with parallel emerge-jobs, yeah, quiet emerges by
12 default makes sense to me.
13
14 But please do at least einfo the change, and what to do to get back to
15 non-quiet by default if desired. Someone mentioned a news item. I'm not
16 sure it warrants that, but certainly an einfo, and if a news item will
17 prevent needless bugs and is thought to be worth the required
18 bureaucracy, I've no problem with it.
23 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman