From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Should "server" be a global use flag?
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 15:10:51
1 On 05/23/2011 10:48 AM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Mon, 23 May 2011, Anthony G Basile wrote:
3 >> I was looking at use.desc/use.local.desc to see if the "server" flag is
4 >> global or not. I was surprised to see that it is not. There are 26
5 >> packages that use a local "server" flag and they all say something to
6 >> the effect "Enable ${PN} server support".
7 > From <http://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/use-flags/>:
8 >
9 > | If the effect of the USE flag upon pkg-one is substantially
10 > | different from the effect it has upon pkg-two, then the flag is not
11 > | a suitable candidate for being made a global flag. In particular,
12 > | note that if client and server USE flags are ever introduced, they
13 > | can not be global USE flags for this reason.
14 >
15 > Ulrich
18 My point was that the "server" flag has the *same* effect on all these
19 packages, ie to turn on their server support. But the point was made on
20 #gentoo-dev that what is a server for one package is not the same as a
21 server for another package. Thinking along those lines, the "server"
22 flag has a *different* effect on each package.
23
24 Reflecting on this, the stricter definition makes more sense, so I
25 retract my point.
28 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
29 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
30 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
31 GnuPG FP : 8040 5A4D 8709 21B1 1A88 33CE 979C AF40 D045 5535
32 GnuPG ID : D0455535