From: Anton Starikov <antst@×××××××.se>
To: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ifc USE flag, fortran support and some general notes about multi-compiler support
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 21:26:20
1 Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 15:25, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 >
4 >>Nah, USE isn't the right place for it. Ebuilds should respect the
5 >>environment variables selecting compilers, such as CC, CXX, FC and so
6 >>forth. The USE flags should be for other things, e.g. patches that are
7 >>required for a specific compiler to work.
10 > This doesn't make any sense. USE flags shouldn't be sticking their heads
11 > in at all. The patches should check what CC/etc. are set to.
12
13 About USE flags, it's completely different idea from IFC or ICC flags.
14 Just couple flags only (could be more, for example if some devs and some
15 users want to support alternative java machines, not system default for
16 their ebuilds) which tell that you want to for something to be compiled
17 with alternative set of compiler and compiler flags, differ from system
18 default. It just flags that provide extra-functionality. OK, probably it
19 can be done in different way, here I agree. But currently it looks with
20 /etc/portage/package.use very simple and comfortable and coming into
21 gentoo really very smoothly.
22
23 BTW, I'm not asking to make something for me.
24 I'm just telling that there is place, where extra functionality can be
25 added into gentoo. And I can work for that. Anyway I do it already :)
26
27 And I just want to discuss the possible ways of implementing it.
28 And for sure currently there is no normal and comfortable ways to have
29 it. Probably as usually my explanations not so good :)
30
31 Anton.
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list