From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-user] Bootstrapping w. gcc-3.1
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 07:07:33
1 Which 8< scissors...
2
3 begin quote
4 On Wed, 22 May 2002 14:44:53 +1200
5 Lars Pechan <lars.pechan@××××××××××××.nz> wrote:
8 > I'm not clear on this... Did you bootstrap twice then? Once from
9 > vanilla Gentoo CD gcc-2.95.3 to gcc-3.1 and then once more to rebuild
10 > glibc with gcc-3.1?
11
12 Nope, I untarred the 1.2 stage1 tarball, rsynced, updated profile, and
13 unmasked the gcc 3.1 and texinfo from package.mask
14
15 Then I proceeded with bootstrap, using default i686 compilator options.
16
17 > If you did I'm a bit surprised as I did try that as well with those
18 > very flags (-march=i686 -O3 -pipe) and it still crapped out in the
19 > same place??
20
21 Oh, didn't do that for me at all....
22
23 > If you didn't then you have a glibc that was built by gcc-2.95.3. I'm
24 > not fully up to speed on potential abi incompatibilities but isn't
25 > that asking for trouble?
26
27 No, the bootstrap will first build
28 baselayout: gettext : binutils : gcc
29 then
30 glibc baselayout gettext binutils gcc
31
32 and each step of gcc will build gcc 3 times. just to make sure it all
33 works.
36 > I have seen comments in various places (incl. the LFS source Wilbert
37 > was refering to) that glibc should be built with a plain vanilla gcc
38 > without any optimization at all but then you see others who seem to be
39 > running quite happily with glibcs that have been optimized. This seems
40 > a particularly thorny issue as some optimizations affect the abi
41 > (-msse -mfpmath=sse on athlons for example) and certainly this could
42 > lead to all sorts of troubles the day you try to install a binary
43 > package, couldn't it?
44
45 Yes, it could very well do bad things, and the glibc overrides the
46 CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS to make sure you have -O2 on the end.. I'm afraid
47 this isn't 100% fool proof since that wont stop your custom added
48 -fno-recurse -fremove-harddrive -fwipe-planet or whatnot :p
52 > If that's correct then the logical conclusion would be not to do any
53 > optimization or at least take care to make sure that the abi is
54 > unaffected?
55
56 that's recommended.. and actually, gcc will bail out if you try to build
57 it with too much optimization as well... not good.
60 > While we're on the subject am I correct in stating that any binary
61 > package in widespread use today (Opera. JBuilder) will not run under a
62 > gcc-3.1 system because of changes in the abi between 2.95.3 and 3.1?
63 > (Until the vendors release new versions compiled with gcc-3.1 that
64 > is). Or is there some sort of compatibility layer that handles this?
65
66 Yes, this is the case, unless you download the static packages they will
67 have problems. I think we could hack up some compability package that
68 built those libs only and installed them, then added it to ld.so just to
69 get things working with binary packages, but for me, I'm quite against
70 binary releases of things....
73 > Sorry for the length...
74 No problem :)
77 > /Lasse
78 //Spider
82 begin .signature
83 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
85 end