From: Fuper <futurist@×××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] 1.4beta ... complaint
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 12:31:49
1 On Tue, 27 Aug 2002 12:48:48 -0500
2 "Jeffrey D. Kowing" <jeffrey.d.kowing1@××××××××.gov> wrote:
3
4 > mike writes:
5 > > > Complaint:
6 > > >
7 > > > The cleanly emerged cups-1.1.15 did not work. This is with a
8 > > > _postscript_ printer, an HP 5MP. Any print job is canceled immediately
9 > > > by the print subsystem. I was disgusted because this is the third time
10 > > > I have tried to run Gentoo cups-1.1.15. I thought that surely it would
11 > > > be ok on a fresh install. It's not ok. :-p
12 > > >
13 >
14 > Don't know if this is related, but I had the same problem (kept
15 > canceling the job) with cups-1.1.15-r2 and our postscript laser
16 > printers (HP LaserJet 4000TN and 8000N) until I downloaded the printer
17 > description files *.ppd from cvs at the HP sourceforge website
18 > http://hp.sourceforge.net/ and, behold, things started to work!
19
20 I finally found clear instructions on the Mandrake web site :-/
21
22 Yes it is necessary, for a postscript printer, to get the ppd file
23 that came with the printer or get one from, for HP printers,
24 http://hp.sourceforge.net
25
26 The ppd file must be copied into /usr/share/cups/model !!! <doh!>
27 I had been putting it in /etc/cups/ppd/ (wrong).
28
29 THEN that printer model will show up in the list of available drivers
30 when the printer is configured by visiting http://localhost:631
31
32 In my case putting the HP_LaserJet_5.ppd file in /usr/share/cups/model/
33 adds an entry to the list of drivers for
34 HP LaserJet 5/5M Postscript
35 (along with all of the non-postscript gimp-print-cups drivers).
36
37 Selecting that (new) option resolves my problem; and I have a feeling
38 that there may be other folks who need to know how to get cups 1.1.15
39 working with their postscript printer. :-D
40
41 I promise to stop complaining about the excellent cups-1.1.15 ebuild.
42
43 Gentoo 1.4 (beta) is running perfectly on my system (but I give up on
44 Abiword 1.0.2 which segfaults while starting just like it did on my
45 Gentoo 1.2, gcc-2.95 system).