From: Andreas Voegele <voegelas@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Proposed Issuetracker via PEST
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 11:12:31
1 Mikael Hallendal writes:
2
3 > As said before, this is the _default_ interface too bugzilla which
4 > we have no intention of using (at least not for endusers).
5 ^^
6 Has there already been a decision to use Bugzilla?
7
8 > Bugzilla is complex before it's _very_ powerful. But I agree, the
9 > default interface is too complex [...]
10
11 The problem is that web interfaces generally suck because of the poor
12 GUI elements that HTML provides. For example, the text entry's
13 editing features are really poor compared to the features of real text
14 editors.
15
16 How will users select a package in the Bug Tracking System if there
17 are hundreds or even thousands of packages? Do they have to scroll
18 through endless lists?
19
20 I prefer to write my reports with a text editor and to send the
21 reports by electronic mail. It's much easier to add patches and
22 ebuild scripts to electronic mail than to add them to reports sent
23 through a web interface - at least if you're using Emacs to write your
24 mail :]
25
26 The Debian BTS uses electronic mail. And there are at least two
27 programs, e.g. reportbug, which is written in Python, that end-users
28 can use to send bug reports.
29
30 > This is very true while talking about endusers. When talking about
31 > developers I think the most important thing is that it can handle
32 > all the things we need to work effectivly.
33
34 Hm, do you think that all the developers need/want the same things?
35
36 What's wrong with the Debian BTS?
39 Andreas