From: Pieter Van den Abeele <pvdabeel@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Pieter Van den Abeele <pvdabeel@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Fwd: [gentoo-core] Announce gentoo/ppc64 beta
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 16:25:56
1 Seems our mailinglists are acting weird, so here we go:
2
3 Begin forwarded message:
4
5 > From: "Thomas Alan Gall,,," <tgall@g.o>
6 > Date: Sat 29 May 2004 18:03:30 CEST
7 > To: gentoo-core@l.g.o, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
8 > Cc: gwn-feedback@g.o
9 > Subject: [gentoo-core] Announce gentoo/ppc64 beta
12 > It is my pleasure to announce beta level livecds and stages for ppc64.
13 > The hardware
14 > supported by gentoo-ppc64 is PowerMacintosh G5, IBM pSeries, older IBM
15 > 64 bit RS/6000s
16 > (such as the model 260, 270, F80, H80, see linuxppc64.org for a
17 > complete list)
18 > and soon IBM iSeries hardware.
19 >
20 > Gentoo-ppc64 is the other side of the ppc equation, it is a 64 bit
21 > kernel as well as a 64 bit user space. We are the first linux
22 > distribution to offer a 64 bit top to bottom solution which is not a
23 > toy environment. This is a significant and exciting step as there is
24 > interest in cluster computing circles, users of java, and more
25 > generally those who have needs of large address spaces. It's fairly
26 > exciting to be on the forefront and continue to push the capabilities
27 > of linux on ppc64 forward.
28 >
29 > For those that report or track bugs across multiple architecture via
30 > bugs.gentoo.org please do NOT forget to cc ppc64@g.o. Also for
31 > bugs marked against PPC64 please
32 > do NOT CC ppc@g.o if the bug clearly does not affect both
33 > architectures. I've
34 > seen a few errors in this reguard this morning and I'd rather not see
35 > frustrated
36 > users with bugs being funneled off to the wrong team.
37 >
38 > Last I'd like to thank the entire gentoo community for it's help and
39 > support. This
40 > new architecture support would not have been possible with your
41 > positive and
42 > constructive attitude for welcome new developers to gentoo, your good
43 > works and
44 > treating your user base respectfully and professionally.
45 >
46 > Regards,
47 >
48 > Tom
49 >
50 > Tom Gall
51 > gentoo-ppc64 lead -- God started with stage 1, shouldn't you?
52 > tgall aatt gentoo.org
53 > tgall aatt uberh4x0r.org
54 > tom_gall aatt mac.com
55 >