From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] udev-ng? (Was: Summary Council meeting Tuesday 13 November 2012)
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 14:40:58
1 On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 10:38 PM, Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o> wrote:
2 > Correct me if wrong, but didn't the issue start with udev wanting to put the
3 > PCI ID database/file into /usr/share from /etc?
4
5 Well, I can't vouch for what the first issue that arose was, but I do
6 recall discussion that bluetooth keyboards also required libraries in
7 /usr.
8
9 Right now it takes less common situations to trigger problems with a
10 separate /usr, but the general trend is not favorable. It isn't just
11 software changes either - if I told somebody 15 years ago that USB
12 keyboards were going to be problematic but standard PS2 keyboards
13 would always work just fine, they'd say there was nothing to worry
14 about since PS2 keyboards would always be around. For all we know in
15 5 years you won't be able to buy a USB keyboard.
16
17 So, udev has been pushing things along to some extent, but the problem
18 is definitely bigger than udev.
19
20 Rich