From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] New policy: LDFLAGS should be respected
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 00:40:11
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> posted g6dp32$1sl$1@×××××××××.org,
3 > excerpted below, on Sat, 26 Jul 2008 02:54:07 +0300:
4 >
5 >> Gilles Dartiguelongue wrote:
6 >>> Le jeudi 24 juillet 2008 à 18:36 +0200, Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar
7 >>> Arahesis a écrit :
8 >>>> I would like to suggest new policy stating that packages should
9 >>>> respect LDFLAGS.
10 >
11 >>>> This policy is required to allow QA team to fix packages which ignore
12 >>>> LDFLAGS.
13 >>>>
14 >>> this question might sound stupid, but what are you actually trying to
15 >>> fix ? What do these packages do or do not do by ignoring your ldflags
16 >>> that is so crucial to you ?
17 >> "-Wl,-O1,--hash-style=gnu,--sort-common,--as-needed"
18 >
19 > In particular, --as-needed makes a HUGE very practical difference. It
20 > may or may not be the wrong answer to the problem in theory, but lacking
21 > anything even close to as workable right now, that alone is IMO reason
22 > enough to work to get LDFLAGS honored. I appreciate the difference it
23 > made here every time I run revdep-rebuild!
24 >
25 > That's what makes observation of LDFLAGS very practically critical to me.
26
27 Fortunately, the majority of ebuilds/packages are honoring LDFLAGS. Of
28 course it's kinda difficult to always check if a package honors it or
29 not. But it's a good idea to file a bug for every package that does not
30 honor it (without a reason).