From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Projects and subproject status
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 20:45:45
1 On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 22:31 +0100, Luca Barbato wrote:
2 > Here is a list of interesting questions: "Are we fine?" "What are we
3 > going to do?"
4 >
5 > Please project leaders try to reply in short.
6 >
7 > About the stuff I'm involved:
8 >
9 > Are we fine?
10
11 GWN: The GWN is currently in a permanent state of hiatus. I have no
12 intentions on spending another minute working on the GWN. While many,
13 many improvements have been made in the processes for getting the
14 automated data, getting articles has been pulling teeth, at best. This
15 was taking me upwards of 12 hours a week, which was impacting the time I
16 had available to work on things like releases and my day job. As such,
17 the GWN is abandoned and will likely stay that way until someone steps
18 up and decides they're ready and willing to give up their lives to work
19 on this publication. Yes, I think switching to a monthly newsletter
20 would *help* the problem, but it still won't resolve it. The GWN needs
21 articles more than anything, and few people are submitting anything.
22
23 Release Engineering: We dropped the 2007.1 release due to many issues
24 which I won't go into here, since it really isn't appropriate at this
25 time. As such, we're deciding on what our plan is for 2008 and beyond.
26 We are working on finalizing the latest versions of genkernel/catalyst.
27
28 PR: Well, I'm not the lead here, but since the lead is AWOL, I guess
29 that I can give my input. This project is essentially dead. There are
30 a couple people who occasionally respond to user queries to the alias,
31 but otherwise, nothing is going on here. Nobody is really active. I
32 sent in some news about 2007.1 a few weeks back and nobody's posted
33 anything or even responded. I'd say the project is dead if we can't
34 even get out pertinent information like the cancellation of a release to
35 our users.
36
37 Trustees: Well, the Foundation no longer exists, legally, so it's pretty
38 obvious that things are not "fine" here.
39
40 > What are we going to do:
41
42 GWN: no clue, looks like nothing
43
44 RelEng: work on catalyst/genkernel, no further plans
45
46 PR: no clue, looks like nothing
47
48 Trustees: I retired as a Trustee since there's not much point without a
49 Foundation to run, leaving us with one (or possibly two) trustees.
52 Chris Gianelloni
53 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
54 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
55 Games Developer