From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ebuild limits?
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 03:56:21
1 On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 21:50:07 -0400 Dave Nebinger <dnebinger@××××.com>
2 wrote:
3 | Their build system suits their purpose - distribute a LAMP-like
4 | system for the foundation of their web application. I'm sure it will
5 | keep them from getting distracted from questions like 'zimbra works
6 | for postfix 2.2 but breaks for 2.2.3'; they provide it all and to use
7 | it you're normally stuck with their 3rd party binaries at the
8 | version/patch level they give you.
9
10 Hrm. Does this really need an ebuild? Wouldn't it be better to use the
11 associated portage-provided packages? Also, how do you intend to handle
12 security updates?
13
14 | > | a /var/db/pkg query system,
15 | >
16 | > Yick! Bad bad bad idea.
17 |
18 | Yeah, I know. But how else do you answer the question "Hey, Portage,
19 | where did you really install that my.cnf file?"
20 |
21 | Obviously the system admin is free to move the my.cnf file or even
22 | use a different file/path altogether. But at least it would give me
23 | a starting value to use at compile time...
24
25 I'm starting to think you really shouldn't be ebuilding this lot at
26 all...
29 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
30 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
31 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm