From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: multilib@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FYI: emul-linux-x86-xlibs deps being replaced in gx86
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 12:22:05
1 On 22 April 2013 03:43, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > I'd like to give you a heads up and explanation on what I'm doing
6 > today.
7 >
8 > I'm in the process of converting emul-linux-x86-xlibs dependencies
9 > in gx86 with any-of dependencies supporting both emul-linux and split
10 > multilib packages.
11 >
12 > The goal of that process is to allow peaceful co-existence of both
13 > solutions while the migration work is being and a smooth transition
14 > once it's done.
15 >
16 > The common kind of committed dep now looks like:
17 >
18 > || (
19 > (
20 > x11-libs/libXfoo[abi_x86_32]
21 > x11-libs/libXbar[abi_x86_32]
22 > )
23 > app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-xlibs
24 > )
25 >
26 > And before you ask -- it works better than I'd expect it to. Portage
27 > just does the right thing depending on ABI_X86 setting. From my quick
28 > (and not thorough tests), it even seems to handle switching
29 > from emul-linux to multilib packages and back.
30 >
31 > There are two notes however:
32 >
33 > 1. well, the deps aren't that 100% awesome in EAPI<5 with paludis. It
34 > may not enforce USE-deps correctly, but a global ABI_X86 setting plus
35 > @world rebuild will make it work fine. but anyway -- whenever possible,
36 > please try to migrate packages to EAPI=5.
37 >
38 > 2. some of the binary packages may actually prefer versioned deps to
39 > ensure matching SONAME.
40 >
41 > --
42 > Best regards,
43 > Michał Górny
46 It should come as no surprise that I am not happy with this. While I
47 applaud your efforts to attempt to improve the multilib situation, I don't
48 think we are quite at the stage yet where this can be pushed as the default
49 choice, as you are doing now.
50
51 In my opinion this belongs in an overlay for further development and much
52 more extensive testing. You are now pushing this to ebuilds that may very
53 well go stable within weeks — unless I'm missing something and you are
54 masking these features / useflags on stable.
55
56 I am also not convinced this is the approach to multilib that we should be
57 taking, and I know there are others for who this is controversial as well.
60 Cheers,
61
62 Ben | yngwin
63 Gentoo developer
64 Gentoo Qt project lead, Gentoo Wiki admin