From: Francesco R <vivo75@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Pending removal(?) of media-libs/pdflib
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 17:25:55
2011/2/22 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>:
> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 3:55 AM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote: >>>>>>> On Tue, 22 Feb 2011, Mike Frysinger wrote: >>> that might disallow it for binaries, but it doesnt disallow it from >>> being used in ebuilds. same situation as binary kernel drivers -- >>> make it the end user's problem. >> >> Why should we impose such trouble on our users, when there's a (IMHO >> superior) replacement? Build gnuplot with USE="cairo" and you can get >> PDF output with the "pdfcairo" terminal. Even with proper utf-8 >> support, which was always broken with pdflib. > > +1 to both - if a free alternative works then we should always prefer > it.  However, at worst linking license issues should just force us to > set RESTRICT="bindist" or the like (and mirror as well if we can't > distribute the source).  As long as users don't redistribute software > they don't need to worry about licenses if the person sending it to > them had the license to distribute it in the first place. > > Rich >
Last time (many moons ago) I've checked cairo did not generated pdf it did generated raster images and wrapped them in a thin pdf layer. pdflib is generating vector pdf which is a different thing.

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] Pending removal(?) of media-libs/pdflib James Cloos <cloos@×××××××.com>
Re: [gentoo-dev] Pending removal(?) of media-libs/pdflib Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>