From: Francesco R <vivo75@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Pending removal(?) of media-libs/pdflib
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 17:25:55
1 2011/2/22 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>:
2 > On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 3:55 AM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3 >>>>>>> On Tue, 22 Feb 2011, Mike Frysinger wrote:
4 >>> that might disallow it for binaries, but it doesnt disallow it from
5 >>> being used in ebuilds. same situation as binary kernel drivers --
6 >>> make it the end user's problem.
7 >>
8 >> Why should we impose such trouble on our users, when there's a (IMHO
9 >> superior) replacement? Build gnuplot with USE="cairo" and you can get
10 >> PDF output with the "pdfcairo" terminal. Even with proper utf-8
11 >> support, which was always broken with pdflib.
12 >
13 > +1 to both - if a free alternative works then we should always prefer
14 > it.  However, at worst linking license issues should just force us to
15 > set RESTRICT="bindist" or the like (and mirror as well if we can't
16 > distribute the source).  As long as users don't redistribute software
17 > they don't need to worry about licenses if the person sending it to
18 > them had the license to distribute it in the first place.
19 >
20 > Rich
21 >
22 Last time (many moons ago) I've checked cairo did not generated pdf it
23 did generated raster images and wrapped them in a thin pdf layer.
24 pdflib is generating vector pdf which is a different thing.