From: Jerry A! <jerry@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Help w/Install
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 08:08:15
1 On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 04:12:25PM +0200, Achim Gottinger wrote:
2 :
3 : You mean you can't boot from the cd?
4 : If you can boot from a floppy and still be able to access your cdrom on
5 : your laptop, you can
6 : make yourself a bootfloppy from the image on the cd and replace the
7 : kernel on that floppy.
8
9 That's the problem. The BIOS on a VIAO recognize three boot devices,
10 the hard drive, the usb floppy and the pcmcia cdrom. On boot, the BIOS
11 make the floppy and cdrom appear as /dev/fd0. Not a problem. With the
12 funkiness of the IDE bus, I can pass "ide1=0x180,0x386" to the kernel,
13 and w/out loading any pcmcia drivers make the cdrom appear as device
14 /dev/hdc. At least I could do that with rc1, rc2 and rc3. rc4_pre2
15 breaks this behavior.
16
17 So, the booting appears to work fine. It's the drive discovery/mounting
18 that's now failing under rc4_pre2.
19
20 : You can try it, but please backup before.
21
22 No need to, it'll be a fresh install. If I can setup the network card,
23 I'll just ftp this build.tbz2 over and install it instead of the rc3
24 one.
25
26 : I would absolutely
27 : > appreciate it if you could do that. Hey, can you save me the effort and
28 : > "-mcpu=i686 -march=i686" that for me? 8)
29 :
30 : Yes I'll use that flags. It will be a i686-pc-linux-gnu sys with
31 : "-mpentiumpro -march=pentiumpro -O2" options.
32 : Tell me what special kernel options you need to boot on your laptop.
33
34 A standard kernel with eepro100 being supported is all I need. The nice
35 thing about this machine is that it has a built-in EtherExpress 100 so I
36 don't really need the PCMCIA initially.
37
38 --Jerry
39
40 name: Jerry Alexandratos || Open-Source software isn't a
41 phone: 703.599.6023 || matter of life or death...
42 email: jerry@×××××××.org || ...It's much more important
43 || than that!