From: David Morgan <david.morgan@××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GTK und GTK2 Use Flag
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 14:20:56
1 On 07:39 Tue 29 Mar , Brian Harring wrote:
2 > On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 02:09:51PM +0100, David Morgan wrote:
3 > > How do you specify gtk v2 only using use flags? You can't!
4 > >
5 > > If something depends on gtk v1 regardless of use flags (by which I mean
6 > > there's no without any gtk or use v2 option), then if you want
7 > > to emerge it you have to have gtk v1. Unless you want to have some sort
8 > > of system where a package would be masked because of your use flags
9 > > (which would get annoying really quickly), but I don't think you are.
10 > That's semantic quibbling. :)
11 > Use flags are conditionals only; hard deps can't be sidestepped. :)
12 > Finer grained control over conditional linkage is the goal, which the
13 > current USE="gtk gtk2" doesn't engender.
14 >
15 > > assuming that -gtk
16 > > -gtk1 gtk2 means "disable optional gtk (any version) support, but if gtk
17 > > isn't optional but both versions are supported then use v2"
18 > E'yep.
21 Which (unless anyone has any objections) leaves the question of how is this
22 going to get done.
23
24 use.decs would need to be changed, which is easy enough, but then all
25 the ebuilds affected by this would need modifying.
26
27 So, either package maintainers would have to do this (which does seem
28 like something that's likely to happen) or 1 person/a few people
29 would have to change all the relevant ebuilds, which would require a lot
30 of work (and requires whoever's doing it to work out which options are
31 applicable to each package).
32
33 I think the second way is the only way that this'd actually get done,
34 but it requires one or more volunteers. (I'd happily do it, but it's not
35 really possible without being a dev).
38 djm
41 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list