From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo theming during bootup
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 19:23:38
1 On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 14:08 -0400, Curtis Napier wrote:
2 > Wolf31o2, what about you and the other CD maintainers, are you guys
3 > willing to use this if we can get it done?
4
5 CD creation has nothing to do with it, really. We simply make stuff
6 based on the defaults. If there were a "branding" USE flag on these
7 packages, we would use it. That's about all of the interaction Release
8 Engineering would have with regard to this. I do want to point out that
9 we have someone who has been doing our splash themes for us since 2005.0
10 for the releases (blackace). The best course of action currently is
11 simply to pool the resources together and find out what you have
12 available with respect to artists and pre-existing work.
13
14 Please do NOT rush into this, or we'll end up looking worse off for it.
15
16 > PR, are you guys willing (or able) to remake your materials? What would
17 > it take?
18
19 The only "materials" that I am aware of that we have is some flyers and
20 generic business cards, along with the Gentoo "G" logo on a large
21 poster. We shouldn't have too hard of a time changing stuff since we
22 don't really have much of anything, which is something I'm hoping we can
23 change.
24
25 > Who runs the store? I can't find any info about it. Can you/will you
26 > change the products?
27
28 I do. I can change them to anything, really. The main concern I have
29 here is that we have something that can easily be translated into either
30 black and white or CYMK for pressing professional-looking CDs. I am
31 currently working on investigating other avenues for what we can do to
32 provide a better service for our users and possibly generate more
33 revenue with our release media via our store.
34
35 > Anything else that can be themed that I'm missing?
36 >
37 > Like I said in that other email, if we start right now we could have it
38 > all done in time for 2007.0.
39
40 I wouldn't shoot for anything sooner than this, really, as it will take
41 a massive amount of coordination.
42
43 > Am I being crazy thinking we can do all of this? Does anyone else even
44 > want to try or think it's a good idea? Any other questions, comments,
45 > suggestions, flames?
48 > [1]http://lila-theme.berlios.de/
49 > [2]http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/icons.xml
52 Chris Gianelloni