From: Stephan Hartmann <sultan@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [News item review] Chromium access to Google services
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2021 16:36:21
1 Hi,
2
3 please review the news item inlined below. I would like to publish it
4 tomorrow.
5
6 ```
7 Title: Chromium access to Google services
8 Author: Stephan Hartmann <sultan@g.o>
9 Content-Type: text/plain
10 Posted: 2021-03-09
11 Revision: 1
12 News-Item-Format: 2.0
13 Display-If-Installed: www-client/chromium
14
15 Starting March 15th, 2021 Google Chrome Team will restrict access to
16 Google APIs and services that are reserved for Google use only. This
17 means that users are no longer able to login into their Google Accounts
18 which disables access to for example Chrome Sync.
19
20 As a consequence we have to remove Client ID and secret from all
21 www-client/chromium ebuilds. This change has already been done for
22 =www-client/chromium-89.0.4389.82. Other versions will be updated
23 shortly.
24
25 If you need one of the Google use only APIs, then you either have to
26 switch to www-client/google-chrome{-beta,-unstable} or setup your own
27 keys [1]. However, the latter is only intended for development.
28
29 [1] https://bit.ly/3bsxX8A
30 ```
31