From: George Shapovalov <georges@×××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Unstable branch proposal - second round
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 21:41:59
1 Hi Troy
2
3 Some new activity on this thread, cool!
4 If I understand correctly your proposal you talk about supporting different
5 ebuild stabiliyt/status levels by means of creating new branches for every
6 stability level.
7 This seems semantically very similar to my proposal (including use of shell
8 variables). There are some technical discripances though which I would
9 like to address here.
10 I shell say that I am working now on writing a detailed proposal of multiple
11 ebuild stability levels (and immediate submission visibilty). I will try to
12 finish it and submit the link to this maillist as soon as possible.
15 > George,
16 > After reading the messages in this thread (particularly the last
17 > two posted by you) I'd like to say that I agree with you and to add a
18 > couple of thoughts of my own.
19 >
20 > I like the idea of having ebuilds submitted via bugs.gentoo.org being made
21 > easily available to all gentoo users -- keeping one interface for
22 > submission is a good idea.
23 >
24 > However instead of (as well as) your multiple package state levels how
25 > about this (this is all just hypthesis, I don't know if it is possible, I
26 > don't know enough about all the tools used):
27 >
28 > Multiple cvs branches along the lines of this:
29 As I said semantically it seems very similar. Technically though, how
30 exactly will this be represented in user (synced) portage tree? Will user
31 have portage, portage-testing, portage-unstable, etc? I am afraid it will
32 create more confusion especially if you take into account the need to update
33 existing ebuilds. What about the package in the stable tree which was updated
34 and new ebuild should get a "testing" status? If you want to keep things
35 semantically consistent and secure you will end up with pieces of package in
36 different trees. Is this then really different from additional suffix in
37 ebuild name? I designed this change to ebuild name in order to be consistent
38 with present ebuild processing scheme. It seems that it should require less
39 modification to portage tools this way and it should keep the whole process
40 as much as possible automated, not only on the user but also on maintainer
41 side. I would guess that maintainers of the server will be unhappy about
42 having to support additional trees.
46 > Testing Branch - primarily for use by developers.
47 > - new ebuilds from bugs.gentoo.org come in here
48 > - If there is no activity on an ebuild (it's bug)
49 > for 14 days it get's moved to Unstable
50 I personally would be quite opposed to automatic promotion on my system. I
51 think it should require some user intervention, such as votes for
52 intermediate stability level and core group revision before it gets marked as
53 stable. This way you can get whatever stability you want for you setup.
54 I will post the link to all the details as soon as I'll get enough time to
55 finish it, I promise :-).
56
57 > eg:
58 > root@gentoobox # GENTOOBRANCH="UNSTABLE" emerge rsync
59 > ... updating /usr/portage/unstable from cvs.gentoo.org/unstable
60 Nice idea. I actually thought about inclusion of such flags into
61 /etc/make.conf (and all other related files). It should definitely be
62 possible to set this in command line as well.
63
64 It is good to know that people think along the same lines generally WRT this
65 issue.
66
67 George