From: Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for January
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 00:40:42
1 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o> said:
2 > Mark Loeser wrote:
3 > > Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> said:
4 > >>I completely agree with you here. What Gentoo does is make a
5 > >>meta-distribution, that one can utilize to build their own distribution
6 > >>easily. This isn't limited to Linux, either, thanks to Gentoo/Alt.
7 > >>
8 > >>I think that any single direction that we shoot towards will cause
9 > >>friction internally and will reduce productivity, along with leaving
10 > >>certain projects out. We're simply moving in too many directions to
11 > >>have a single direction.
14 > > +1
15 > >
16 > > Each project has a direction they want to go in, and by setting some sort of
17 > > "global vision" we are only going to restrict this.
18 >
19 > I never meant that each subproject can't have their own goals. They need
20 > to have those of course! I was more directed that there isn't a person
21 > in charge of all the subprojects just to keep track of them (Not
22 > governing them). i.e. if subproject foo is working on adding feature X
23 > to portage, then this person could make sure the portage people know
24 > that these folks are wanting to add that feature instead of blind siding
25 > them. Of course, if we lived in a perfect world, they would go ahead and
26 > work together like that. I'm not stating that we'd want to restrict
27 > everyone from doing what they want, just that there's some kind of
28 > direction/guidance/overall project manager that keeps track of all these
29 > projects. They would keep track of all this and report back to the
30 > council/devs/etc.
31
32 So, is this something like Koon's "MetaBug" thing? (I have no idea what that
33 is besides what Chris just said about it). I just don't want to see someone
34 else telling the subprojects how to run their team, or what goals they should
35 have.
39 Mark Loeser - Gentoo Developer (cpp gcc-porting toolchain x86)
40 email - halcy0n AT gentoo DOT org
41 mark AT halcy0n DOT com
42 web - http://dev.gentoo.org/~halcy0n/
43 http://www.halcy0n.com