From: Andrew Muraco <tuxp3@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for January
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 04:36:15
1 Lares Moreau wrote:
2
3 >On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 18:19 +0100, Simon Stelling wrote:
6 >>My point is, either you have to generalize each project's goal to a real
7 >>triviality or you have to define a goal which doesn't match some
8 >>project's goals. Conclusion: Let it be.
12 >Maybe we are looking at this problem the wrong way. Instead of trying
13 >to have Gentoo be the distro, perhaps Gentoo can be thought of as a
14 >provider of infrastructure and tools to allow 'sub-distros' to flourish.
15 >
16 >THere are many projects which now are trying to pull Gentoo in many
17 >different directions, such as bianary distro vs. enterprise distro. If
18 >we remove "Gentoo as distro" from out thinking and replace it with
19 >"Gentoo as provider of tools and infrastucture", These two seemingly
20 >contradictory goals can each flourish in their own way.
21 >
22 >Haveing sub-distros, lack of a better term, is not new to Gentoo.
23 >Hardened has their own LiveCD, profile and tools. I feel this can be
24 >nurtured. Allowing the Binanary group to move in one direction, and
25 >'tweakers' in an other, and die-hard security people in yet another,
26 >while not severely conficting with each other.
29 >Maybe what we need is a clearer definition of what each herd does? I am
30 >considering writing a GLEP about this, having each herd answer three
31 >questions periodicly (say 6mths).
32 > - What do we want to do?
33 > - How are we going to get there?
34 > - How to we measure success?
35 >and /maybe/ add a section about current devs and AT/HTs.
36 >Just a thought.
40 I like your idea of having gentoo not being a distro, but moreso a
41 collection of tools. Mostly because gentoo's method of dealing with
42 problems (problems that binary distros tend to have, like keeping
43 software uptodate) are handled in a way thats just a tad more managable,
44 plus when multiple repo support gets added, its just another way that
45 gentoo can be customized and reflavored.
46
47 +1 for that thinking
48
49 Tux