From: Djamil ESSAISSI <djamil@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] NAT iptables info
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 04:53:53
1 Alright;
2 Unfortunatly, life especially "buzness" is not about RIGHT or WRNG anymore[1],so even if i do I agree with you a 100% which is the case.
3 So as i said on [1] the right thing is not always the good thing, example: if you want to sell your wine [red wine] it has to taste good and give you a sweet buzz, and dont care if it's gonna gonna fuckup your liver or give a shit-face the next morning.
4
5 So i'm not saying "yeah lets get some quick and durty confs so ppl be happy ..."
6 no i prefer actually taking advantage of that need and set up actually rock solid confs Wich in my dreams will relsult in : As easy to use as wincrap [logical]AND running Linux.
7 So if you (we) are planning to deal/work/serve just Admins let me tell you i'm outa here 'cause there are wayyyyyy to many ppl that are just hearing about linux and if you ,i mean we, misse these guys they gonna get picked up by f'redhat and the like, so 1) more ppl will be dumber and 2) less ppl will be interested in our shit. << that is not what we need, dont we ?
8 ############
9 )> If you dont understand the ramnifications of packet
10 :)> filetering, NAT, etc then
11 :)> you have *no* business running this software. We are not
12 :)> Microsoft or Wingate,
13 #########################
14 what you see here is a typical fucked up reaction;
15 Mister is saying literally to somebody : "hey dumb ass you are too dumb to use our software !! get out !"
16 Is this how you get attention ? customers ? freinds ??
17 Braguers ! are we here to brag ?!or to proof something to Dady ? no ! were here to make It
18 ,make good shit , and if no one uses it ,well too bad, i'll go back to LFS and my makefiles.
21 We have to understand that even charity organizations kiss asses to please their "customers" --have you ever seen a "charity organization rep." saying :"oh no that guy is a mobster ...we aint taking his money"
22
23 ps: Excuse my english,please.
26 :)
27 :)> From: Donny Davies [mailto:woodchip@g.o]
28 :)
29 :)> Nope. Sorry. Im not in agreement in this at all. Of course,
30 :)> its open to debate,
31 :)> Im not saying I know everything, nor Im 100% right. Go ahead,
32 :)> debate away.
33 :)> But I dont want any part of it, Ill tell you that!
34 :)>
35 :)> If you dont understand the ramnifications of packet
36 :)> filetering, NAT, etc then
37 :)> you have *no* business running this software. We are not
38 :)> Microsoft or Wingate,
39 :)> opening yuor machine to a wider world.
40 :)
41 :)<snip rest of post>
42 :)
43 :)I have to agree in principle here, FWIW. The answer to this problem of
44 :)making the functionality available to everyone is to make sure things
45 :)are
46 :)clearly and thoroughly documented. I think we are best served by
47 :)following
48 :)the OpenBSD example of a secure default install and then let the users
49 :)change configuration to suit.
50 :)
51 :)Cheers,
52 :)