From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New Working Group established to evaluate the stable tree
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 14:19:43
1 On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 10:00:12AM +0200, Pacho Ramos wrote:
2 > El dom, 14-08-2016 a las 23:35 +0200, Kristian Fiskerstrand escribió:
3 > >  * Are there ways to reduce the stabilization lag of packages
4 > >      - looking into the effectiveness of ALLARCHES and its use
5 > >      - possibility for maintainer to stabilize packages themselves
6 > > for
7 > >        architectures they have access to (including whether there
8 > > might
9 > >        be a need for changes to gentoo infrastructure to facilitate
10 > >        this)
11 >
12 > Thinking about the way I think most stabilization teams are handling
13 > the bunch stabilizations, I think the best think to do is that the
14 > maintainer itself goes ahead stabilizing on remaining arches as soon as
15 > the first one does the job.
16
17 +1000
18
19 *snip*
20
21 > I am not sure if one suggestion I did a few days ago was included (as
22 > the thread was already really long when I was able to reply sorry), if
23 > that is not the case, it was:
24 > My suggestion, for now would be to modify a bit the current policy: if
25 > I don't misremember, we can drop stable keywords for arches that are
26 > not stabilizing the package in 90 days. The problem is that it
27 > currently cannot be done in most of the times because it's not feasible
28 > for the maintainer to drop the keyword and *also* all the stable
29 > keywords of reverse deps.
30 >
31 > Hence, I would suggest to, apart of allowing the maintainers to drop
32 > the keywords, to also allow them to stabilize that packages on that
33 > arches when this timeout has expired
34
35 I'm very much for this as well. Themaintainer should be able to
36 stabilize on all arches after the timeout. That would solve the primary
37 concern I have about the stable tree lagging.
38
39 William