From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: /etc/hostname on gentoo
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 16:34:11
1 On 08/24/2016 12:22 PM, Zac Medico wrote:
2 >
3 > Seems like something we could automate in pkg_posinst of the openrc
4 > ebuild, but probably also deserves a news item.
7 Or in the systemd ebuild =P
8
9 I'll drop this, I've made my peace:
10
11 * adding another configuration file is inconsistent with every other
12 openrc service
13
14 * having two configuration files is confusing, since it looks like one
15 of them just doesn't work if the other is populated
16
17 * two code paths to maintain, and you'll eventually want to deprecate
18 the consistent /etc/conf.d location (more news items...)
19
20 * appropriating someone else's file like we did with LINGUAS can
21 cause problems if they decide to change its meaning
22
23 * handbook and other documentation updates need to happen
24
25 * no benefit put forth so far, other than that it's the same file that
26 systemd uses, which is true but not beneficial as far as I can tell