From: Joshua Brindle <method@g.o>
To: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] What are Gentoo releases?
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 22:31:39
1 Not that I'm particularly interested in the release process but I'd just
2 like to make the suggestion that -releng take a good look at the freebsd
3 release process, they are very much like us in that they have a
4 constantly moving ports tree but also have a consistant release
5 schedule/process and also have definitive goals with each release.
6 Granted there is very different in that they are the actual
7 libc/kernel/userland developers so they actively work on that and
8 schedule the features around releases.
9
10 Also.. since glibc switched to snapshots rather than versioned releases
11 something that releng is going to need to do is ensure the the current
12 glibc in portage is stabilized and tested thoroughly before stages/grp
13 are built, this is a goal that will have to be constantly met before
14 release and certainly can't be put off until the next release.
15
16 Josuha Brindle
17