From: Anthony de Boer <gentoo-dev@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Large files still in files/
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2005 18:10:26
1 Mark Loeser wrote:
2 > There's also quite a large amount of binary files still in the tree. A
3 > lot of them seem to be compressed patches. I'm not sure what should be
4 > done with those, but I thought putting binary files into the tree was
5 > discouraged unless absolutely necessary. Lots of 4k compressed patches
6 > doesn't seem to be something absolutely necessary.
7
8 Tying this to the Portage-tree collection-copyright issue, it might be a
9 good idea for all third-party-sourced patches, with e-mail headers or
10 other such authorship/source/copyright information still intact at the
11 start (and happily skipped by the patch command), to be gzipped and put
12 in distfiles, and the tree itself to be reserved for stuff written
13 specifically for the Gentoo project.
14
15 This does still leave large Gentoo-supplied patches in question; I'm
16 uncomfortable with the idea of us getting *that* far from the upstream
17 sources, though.
20 Anthony de Boer
21 --
22 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list