From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Happy 10th birthday (in advance)
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 15:41:39
1 On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 23:30:07 +0800
2 Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
3 > > So you think Gentoo should advertise as "the chances of it working
4 > > are greater than 0%"?
5 >
6 > I said better ... not repetitive trolls.
7 >
8 > If you cared about making things better you'd spend more time writing
9 > patches and less time trying to pick fights on public mailinglists :)
10 >
11 > But I guess small minds, small pleasures ...
12
13 What Gentoo needs is less immediate writing of patches and more careful
14 thinking about how a complex mess of sort-of working, poorly
15 interacting features can be unified into a smaller number of correct,
16 coherent concepts. Right now most of the patches are fixing screwups in
17 earlier patches that were caused by implementing the wrong thing (and
18 often introducing new problems along the way).
19
20 The fact that you have code that does something does not automatically
21 imply that doing it is a good idea.
24 Ciaran McCreesh