From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Last rites: www-apps/egroupware
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2016 06:37:33
1 J. Roeleveld posted on Wed, 06 Jul 2016 20:22:57 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Thursday, June 30, 2016 10:30:07 PM Aaron Bauman wrote:
4 >> # Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o> (30 Jun 2016)
5 >> # Unpatched security vulnerability per bug #509920.
6 >> # Removal in 30 days www-apps/egroupware
7 >
8 > Why is this bug being used to treeclean egroupware?
9 >
10 > Why is bug 461212 not being used to actually resolve the issue?
11 > If I would actually be confident that it would actually be used, I would
12 > have no issue on trying to get my latest ebuild ( version 14.3.20160525
13 > ) converted to the latest standards.
14
15 According to equery meta, egroupware has no individual developer
16 maintainer and no proxied maintainer, only the webapps project as
17 maintainer. And apparently there, nobody has been specifically
18 interested in egroupware, so it has fallen thru the cracks to some
19 degree, tho newer versions /may/ be in the webapps-experimental overlay.
20
21 Here's the webapps project wiki page:
22
23 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Webapps
24
25 That has this to say when discussing the overlay, quote:
26
27 Web applications in general tend to be a severe security liability. They
28 are designed to communicate with the outside world and need to deal with
29 a range of input from the Internet. Since it is often hard for developers
30 to foresee all types of malicious input, security flaws are being
31 detected rather frequently in the apps we maintain.
32
33 To reduce the impact of such incidents while still offering a wide range
34 of different web applications, we created a Portage overlay that contains
35 ebuilds for applications that we do not want to maintain in the main
36 tree. Such applications either lack a developer willing to maintain it in
37 Portage or have not been reviewed for security.
38
39 The overlay can be found here:
40 https://cgit.gentoo.org/proj/webapps-experimental.git/
41
42 Warning
43 Please remember that the applications available through the overlay might
44 compromise the security of your server!
45
46 The overlay is an ideal playground for new developers wishing to join our
47 team. Once we see that you are capable of writing ebuilds of reasonable
48 quality, we can provide you with commit rights to the overlay.
49
50 End quote.
53 So it's possible newer versions are in the overlay, and they simply
54 decided it was too much of a load to keep a version in the tree as well.
55
56 If there /aren't/ newer versions in the overlay, presumably it's because
57 nobody that has access has been interested in maintaining it in the
58 overlay either.
61 Either way, given your obvious interest, I'd suggest contacting them
62 about overlay commit rights, and/or volunteering to be the proxied
63 maintainer for this particular package.
68 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman