From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Revisions for USE flag changes
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2017 16:06:34
1 On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 07:50:14PM -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > == tl;dr ==
3 >
4 > We would be better off with respect to IUSE changes and revisions if we
5 > deleted the --changed-use and --newuse flags right now, and just
6 > required developers to revbump when changing IUSE.
7 >
8 > Package managers get simpler, documentation gets simpler, the user
9 > interface gets simpler, and behavior becomes more uniform and predictable.
10 >
11 > Please let me know what you think.
12
13 There is a down side you didn't talk about -- more work for the arch
14 teams and for us in terms of stabilizations.
15
16 When we revbump, a new revision automatically gets ~ keywords on all arches
17 unless we make an exception. If a revision changes iuse but could still
18 be built with the stable tree, I would want to be able to commit this
19 type of revision directly to stable.
20
21 William