From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stability of /sys api
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 01:18:08
1 On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 12:09:23PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Monday 14 May 2012 03:53:53 Walter Dnes wrote:
3 > > My question... is this API stable or deprecated? I.e. can I count on
4 > > it being around for a while? I figure this question is a developer type
5 > > question rather than ordinary user type.
6 >
7 > if userspace is relying on stuff in /sys, then it's part of the ABI
8
9 Yes, but note, you are looking at the wrong thing, what you are reading
10 isn't really what you think it means...
11
12 And to rely on sysfs, you have to be very careful, you can not rely on
13 position, or files, always being where you saw them yesterday as device
14 ids, topologies, and other stuff, change all the time.
15
16 greg k-h