From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Python 3.1: Stabilization and news item
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 17:43:56
1 Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 4:08 PM, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> 2010-03-26 16:40:37 Brian Harring napisał(a):
7 >>>
8 >>>
9 >>>> There really isn't a precedent since upgrades of this sort typically
10 >>>> either have extremely locked down deps, or just plain don't happen
11 >>>> till the vast majority of depndencies are updated. If in doubt, look
12 >>>> at the past python upgrades- they've been delayed till all of the
13 >>>> major consumers played nice w/ the targeted python version.
14 >>>>
15 >>>>
16 >>> Main active version of Python was automatically updated during previous
17 >>> Python
18 >>> upgrades, but it's not updated during installation of Python 3.1.
19 >>>
20 >>>
21 >>>
22 >> As a user, I still think this could turn into a real mess. I think there
23 >> will be quite a few that will see python being updated, run python-updater
24 >> and switch it to the new python. At that point, it is going to hit the fan.
25 >> I know because this is what I always do. News item or not, when python
26 >> gets updated, I run python-updater and make sure it is selected.
27 >>
28 > My assumption here is that eselect-python will not let you select v3
29 > as your python version without some prodding (eg setting stupid
30 > environment variables or similar.)
33 root@smoker ~ # eselect python list
34 Available Python interpreters:
35 [1] python2.6 *
36 [2] python3.1
37 root@smoker ~ # eselect python set 2
38 root@smoker ~ # eselect python list
39 Available Python interpreters:
40 [1] python2.6
41 [2] python3.1 *
42 root@smoker ~ #
45 That was pretty easy to select the new python. Everything I did was
46 right there. Two commands and it is switched. This is where problems
47 will start.
50 >> If this somehow breaks portage, which it shouldn't since apparently portage
51 >> is fine with the new python, then it is going to really hit the fan.
52 >>
53 >> Me, I'm going to make SURE nothing changes on my system. Then I'm going to
54 >> sit back and see what happens, good or bad. I can't imagine anything good
55 >> but I sure can imagine bad things.
56 >>
57 > Such faith ;)
60 >> Dale
61 >>
62 >> :-) :-)
67 It's not faith, its reality. There will be some people that don't
68 subscribe to this list that will do what is above. This IS the reason I
69 subscribed to this list. I wanted to know what the devs were doing
70 under the hood that would lead me to screw up my system. It's amazing
71 how much fewer problems I have had since I started watching this list.
72
73 Also, if python3 is marked as "stable," people will assume it is safe to
74 switch to. That's what "stable" means.
75
76 Back to my hole.
77
78 Dale