From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: common-lisp@g.o, scheme@g.o, emacs@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Closing the Lisp umbrella project
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 19:57:55
1 We have decided to close the Lisp umbrella project [1]. Its subprojects
2 Common Lisp, Scheme, and Emacs already moved to the top level.
3
4 We will keep the #gentoo-lisp IRC channel and the lisp overlay;
5 ownership of the latter will be changed to Common Lisp and Scheme.
6 (The Emacs project has always used its own overlay.)
7
8 Rationale: There is little value in having an umbrella project for Lisp
9 related things. The few common resources don't justify having a project.
10 The Lisp project neither has any members other than those inherited
11 from its subprojects, and there are no packages with lisp@g.o
12 as maintainer.
13
14 (As a general note, most umbrella projects seem to be a remnant of the
15 old CVS pages or even of GLEP 4 metaprojects [2], where projects were
16 organised as a hierarchical tree. In the wiki, the structure is mostly
17 flat, with the occasional subproject to provide additional structure.)
18
19 Ulrich
20
21 [1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/757789