From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Johannes Huber <johu@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: What means bup?
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2018 08:35:56
1 >>>>> On Wed, 18 Jul 2018, Matthew Thode wrote:
2
3 > On 18-07-18 09:16:07, Johannes Huber wrote:
4 >> english is not my mother language, so please clarify what bup means, just
5 >> seen here:
6 >>
7 >> https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/commit/?id=ee0e0401478cf30b3ced0405f6b89391e05d2397
8 >>
9 >> Just checked if it was a typo, but can't be:
10 >> git log --oneline --grep bup | count -l
11 >> Expected 0 lines, got 1248.
12
13 > It's similiar to a sound you make when you touch something's nose.
14 > *boop*
15
16 > I just prefer bup instead. I generally only use it when doing simple
17 > bumps of packages (copy ebuilds with only keyword edits).
18
19 We used to have the rule that ChangeLog messages "should be well
20 explained and written in clean English". I think this applies to
21 commit messages, too.
22
23 Ulrich