From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] berkdb and gdbm in global USE defaults
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 03:33:47
1 I recently ran into a REQUIRED_USE constraint that required I select
2 between berkdb and gdbm for an email client.
3
4 Looking through our profiles, I see we have both berkdb and gdbm
5 enabled "globally".
6
7 default/linux/make.defaults:USE="berkdb crypt ipv6 ncurses nls pam
8 readline ssl tcpd zlib"
9 releases/make.defaults:USE="acl gdbm nptl unicode"
10
11 Is there any reason to have these USE flags enabled globally?
12
13 These USE seem pretty package-specific in scope. On my system, they
14 are used by around a dozen of 1000+ installed packages. I think it
15 might make sense to migrate them to appropriate IUSE defaults, or
16 leave them disabled where they do not provide critical functionality.