From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: udev <-> mdev
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 08:42:25
1 Michael Mol posted on Sun, 15 Jul 2012 20:57:28 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > This is sounding closer and closer to an on-disk liveCD.
4
5 It is, isn't it? But I'd want to keep it reasonably small, as I guess
6 I'd be rebuilding the squashfs pretty much whenever I updated any package
7 that it contained binaries from.
8
9 Actually, I guess if I did squashfs, I could even mount it directly,
10 avoiding the initr* entirely, tho in effect it'd be close. I could have
11 the kernel call a shell script as init, then have it exec the real init
12 (and thus openrc) after it did some initial setup and mounts, thus
13 allowing the real init to inherit the same PID 1 it normally gets. (Some
14 of that idea is triggered by Maxim K's post. Thanks to both of you.)
15
16 Alternatively, I could reconfigure inittab to start my script first, then
17 start openrc (consolidating the openrc sysinit, etc, entries). But that
18 actually sounds more complex than simply running an initial script as
19 init, and having it exec init.
24 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman