From: "Olivier CrĂȘte" <tester@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: locations of binaries and separate /usr
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2012 20:24:16
1 On Sun, 2012-01-01 at 08:53 +0000, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 > On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 07:59:47PM -0600, William Hubbs wrote:
3 > > 1) Start migrating packages along with upstream and have everyone who
4 > > has a separate /usr (including me by the way) start using an initramfs
5 > > of some kind, either dracut or one that we generate specifically for
6 > > gentoo. The reason I suggest the initramfs, is, unfortunately if we
7 > > migrate everything, nothing else would work.
8 >
9 > I use a separate /usr with LVM on all my systems. My root partition uses
10 > RAID1. And I never had the need for an initramfs of any kind. Also, there
11 > are some major hurdles to take when it comes to getting an initramfs working
12 > with SELinux. Most initramfs implementations I saw are not SELinux aware, so
13 > all changes they make to the system either result in failures when they try,
14 > or failures when the root-switch occurs.
15
16 dracut fully supports SELinux (it's used in Fedora which has this
17 SELinux horror on by default).
18
19 > > 3) Try to maintain things the way they are as long as possible.
20 >
21 > I'm all for this one.
22 >
23 > But if people really want to focus on initramfs, I'd appreciate some
24 > documentation help on it. Not only on how to create one, but also why it is
25 > necessary, how to manage initramfs'es, the concepts underlying, etc.
26
27 Short version: use dracut.
30 Olivier CrĂȘte
31 tester@g.o