From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gwn@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Packages for mixed PHP4/PHP5 environment added to Portage
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 17:50:33
1 Hi,
2
3 The PHP Herd is pleased to announce that it has added new packages to
4 Portage which will allow Gentoo to provide stable PHP4 and PHP5 packages
5 on the same box at the same time. These packages have come from the
6 successful PHP Overlay [1].
7
8 At the heart of these packages is the new dev-lang/php package (which
9 will replace the existing dev-php/php, dev-php/php-cgi, and
10 dev-php/mod_php packages), and the new dev-php4 and dev-php5 categories
11 which allow us to provide, and support, PHP extensions and frameworks
12 that are specific to each version of PHP.
13
14 These changes also leave us well-placed for the next major release of
15 PHP (possibly called PHP-6), which upstream are currently brewing.
16
17 We hope to move these packages to ~arch (on architectures that the PHP
18 Herd supports) on Thursday 8th September, as part of our migration plans
19 [2]. If you find any problems with the packages, please file bugs in
20 Bugzilla as normal.
21
22 We are aiming to remove the old dev-php/php-4* et al packages on 8th
23 January 2006; support for non-security issues will cease two months
24 earlier on 8th October 2005. The older dev-php/php-5* et al packages
25 have been removed today; anyone still using these packages should move
26 across to the new dev-lang/php package.
27
28 Support for other architectures will follow as and when other arch teams
29 can resource it; you can follow the progress in [3], and provide
30 feedback to help the arch teams assess the stability of these packages.
31
32 The PHP Overlay will continue to be the place where the PHP Herd does
33 most of its development and testing. You'll find more packages in the
34 Overlay than in Portage, and new versions of packages will be tested in
35 the Overlay first.
36
37 [1] http://stu.gnqs.org/diary/gentoo.php
38 [2] http://svn.gnqs.org/projects/gentoo-php-overlay/
39 [3] http://bugs.gentoo.org/102649
40
41 Best regards,
42 Stu
43 --
44 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
45 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
46 http://stu.gnqs.org/diary/
47
48 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
49 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C