From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 18:06:39
1 Christian Hartmann wrote: [Tue May 16 2006, 12:10:18PM CDT]
2 > Oh lovely. - If noone has any strong reasonable objections, I'd like
3 > to add a $ians-playground profile to the tree. Furthermore I will
4 > start to keywording ebuilds with the new ~fridge keyword I just
5 > invented.
6
7 Hyperbole?
8
9 > How is paludis related to gentoo? Hardened and the other things you
10 > mentioned are gentoo projects. - Paludis is not.
11
12 That's not really a fair statement. Porthole and various other tools
13 began (and in some cases remain) as non-Gentoo-owned projects, but
14 numerous portage changes have been made over the years to support those
15 tools better.
16
17 Paludis and pkgcore are related to gentoo because they are both designed
18 to work with Gentoo's portage tree.
19
20 > It's not about the size or the number of files. We have got enough - let's
21 > call it $stuff - in the tree. I'd really like to see valid and reasonable
22 > things added to the tree. - Adding things just because someone thinks it
23 > would be funny to add it to the tree can't be the way gentoo wants to go.
24
25 It appears, at least from what I've read, that the additions to the tree
26 would be both minimal and narrowly focused. Why would that not be valid
27 or reasonable? Also, I don't believe that anybody is attempting to be
28 "funny", but instead to provide a potentially useful set of tools that
29 need a lot of hammering on.
30
31 > > Comments?
32
33 Wouldn't a paludis profile lead to an explosion of children profiles
34 that depend on it, or is the profile "mixed-in" with a standard profile?
35 In either case, might it be easier to have a /usr/portage/paludis
36 directory for paludis-specific content? (The opposite, but equally
37 ignorant, question that I had was if it wouldn't be simpler to add the
38 paludis-specific stuff to the existing files, and have portage ignore
39 it.)
40
41 -g2boojum-
42 --
43 Grant Goodyear
44 Gentoo Developer
45 g2boojum@g.o
46 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
47 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76