From: Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Interest Check: Dynamic config files for portage
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 22:57:55
1 On 01/07/2003 at 17:49:23(+0200), Josep Sanjuas used 2.2K just to say:
2 > It'd also make portage easier to maintain, because for example, if
3 > I want to change the disftile or rsync mirrors then I can edit
4 > /etc/make.conf.f/fetch, or whatever its name would be, instead of finding the
5 > appropiate vars in the big make.conf.
6
7 So you'd actually have to find the appropriate vars in *all* those files. I'd
8 definitely not look in a file named "fetch" (since rsyncing hardly has anything
9 to do with fetching, considering what "emerge --fetch" does) for the means to
10 set my rsync server which only proves my point - you (or I if all gentoo devs
11 think like you) would first look in the wrong file. So every time I want to
12 change a var, I'll have to think where it might be in all those files.
13 Personally, I find looking for text in *one* file much easier when compared to
14 grepping a directory and THEN editing a file (and then running the tool to
15 mangle my files or "cat * > ../make.conf" or whatever).
18 / Georgi Georgiev / He who is flogged by fate and laughs the /
19 \ chutz@×××.net \ louder is a masochist. \
20 / +81(90)6266-1163 / /
23 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list