From: Brad Laue <brad@g.o>
To: Gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] "Distro Day (Measuring the benefits of the Gentoo approach)"
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 14:12:21
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > They also had no "control" group.
3 > It would also have been nice to have seen them test Gentoo (optimized)
4 > against Gentoo (non-optimized). Testing should have also been done on
5 > the SAME machine. Not "identical" machines, but the exact same one.
6 > The reason for this is there is the possibility that hardware could be
7 > causing a discrepancy in the results.
10 This is the main thing that bugs me - the programs tested were built
11 with no more opimizations than any other distribution uses (-O2 is
12 extremely common).
13
14 Another good analysis of the 'gentoo approach' would have been trends
15 based - if I set gnome in my USE flags, how will the featureset of my
16 entire system change over time? Can such features be added and removed
17 on the fly in other distributions? (probably not)
18
19 Brad
23 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list