From: "Tiziano Müller" <dev-zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: About herds and their non-existant use
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 06:10:10
1 Marius Mauch wrote:
2
3 > Moving the discussion to -dev per leios request.
4 >
5 > On Wed, 21 May 2008 23:42:19 +0200
6 > Marius Mauch <genone@g.o> wrote:
7 >
8 >> As this topic jus came up in #-dev, and most people there seemed to
9 >> agree with me I thought it might be worth to bring this topic up
10 >> again. The topic is that I think that the whole 'herd' concept we're
11 >> using is a huge mess and should be removed. Now before eveyone starts
12 >> screaming, lets look at what this concept actually is, as many people
13 >> are quite confused by it:
14 >>
15 >> 1) a herd is a group of packages (not a group of people)
16 >> 2) the herds.xml file is used to assign people and mail aliases as
17 >> maintainers of a given herd. Unfortuntely the syntax there give
18 >> the impression that those people/mail aliases actually form the herd
19 >> 3) the <herd> tag in metadata.xml is used to assign a package to a
20 >> certain group.
21 >> 4) the <maintainer> tag in metadata.xml can be used to assign
22 >> individual maintainers for a package in addition to/instead of the
23 >> herd maintainers
24 >> 5) the combination of 2), 3) and 4) is used to determine the
25 >> maintainers of a given package
26 >>
27 >> Now most people will be familiar with 5) to some degree, and that is
28 >> actually the only valid use case for the herd concept that I'm aware
29 >> of. Or has anyone some use case where you'd like to know what herd a
30 >> package belongs to, but don't care about by whom that herd is
31 >> maintained?
32 >> If we can agree that this is the only real use case for the herd
33 >> concept, then I think the concept is quite useless as it's just a
34 >> redundant layer of indirection. You could just list mail aliases
35 >> directly as maintainers, without having to consult herds.xml first.
36 While I think the herds concecpt is somewhat useless, I'd rather like to see
37 something like this instead:
38
39 <maintainer>
40 <team>foobar</team>
41 </maintainer>
42
43 This makes it clear that it is a team instead of a person (where <name>
44 would have been used)
45
46 And the herds.xml isn't completely useless, but I'd rather name it teams.xml
47 and list the teams there. This way we can validated the team mentioned in
48 <team>...</team> against the list of available teams and make sure the
49 complete thing is valid (can be done in the current metadata.dtd or in a
50 future metadata.xsd).
51 (If we're gonna re-use the <email>...</email> element for the herd-alias, we
52 can never validate it. And I'm personally for the: "if something can be
53 automatically validated, it should be")
56 >> This would have a number of benefits:
57 >> - you no longer have to look at herds.xml to determine the actual
58 >> maintainers of a given package (as herd-name and associated mail alias
59 >> don't always match)
60 I don't consider this much of a problem. You just have to know xsl/xpath to
61 cope with this as generating the list of mail-aliases to assign this bug to
62 is a simple xsl-transformation...
63 When we use XML we can also use the right tools to handle them, can't we?
64
65 >> - it would simplify bug assignment rules, as the current case where a
66 >> package has both a <herd> and a <maintainer> tag in metadata.xml no
67 >> longer exists
68 It doesn't. You can still have more than one <maintainer> in there.
69 We'd have to introduce an attribute to mark the primary maintainer.
70
71 >> - eliminate confusion about what a herd actually is
72 ++
73
74 >> - only have one location where members of a given team are listed,
75 >> currently it's possible and quite likely that herds.xml and the mail
76 >> alias files get out of sync
77 Well, we need one location where the name of the team is mapped to the
78 actual mail-alias. But I don't get what you're trying to say...
81 Cheers,
82 Tiziano
86 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list