From: Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage Subcategory Capabilities?
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 07:42:46
1 maillog: 04/10/2004-00:16:10(-0700): George Shapovalov types
2 <snip>
3 > As for distinguishing: in prior discussions there were calls to go the
4 > opposite route and flatten namespace. That is to get rid of categories
5 > altogether and rely solely on search. Thus one approach would be to make one
6 > pass accumulating all package names and then work off that (store path to
7 > ebuild dir in the cache for example). However that may not be optimal as this
8 > will disallow duplicate package names (which we *have* irrespectively of
9 > whether this is good or bad).
10
11 I remember that discussion. And there were to be symlinks to the
12 packages in the flat namespace, similar to what we already have in
13 $PKGDIR.
14
15 <snip>
16 > A simpler and more efficient approach may be to simply prepend path to package
17 > name, possibly substituting '/' with some other separator if that's a
18 > problem. This will give a flat list of effective package names (that include
19 > all their categorization) which may even simplify further processing.
20 > Actually having a separate pass may be even more of an advantage as portage
21 > works off its cache for the most part anyway and this cache is created
22 > server-side already. Thus this change might even speed things up :) (well,
23 > not really, but shouldn't cause significant performance degradation either).
24
25 Naah, that would also require users to specify full names, which is
26 ugly.
27
28 <snip>
29 > > 3) the many additional directories would cause an 'emerge sync' to take
30 > > longer than it does now.
31
32 Having 100 or so more directories when there are 80,000+ items in $PORTDIR
33 wouldn't really hurt rsync.
36 *> Georgi Georgiev *> If you go out of your mind, do it quietly, *>
37 <* chutz@×××.net <* so as not to disturb those around you. <*
38 *> +81(90)6266-1163 *> *>
41 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list