From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] newsitem: important fstab update
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2016 04:56:57
1 On 10/25/2016 10:01 AM, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > All,
3 >
4 > this item is about an important fstab update. In short, people need to
5 > move away from /dev/disk-by/* in their fstab vfiles.
6 >
7 > I do have a question about the newsitem -- how do I make it display only
8 > for Linux users?
9 >
10 > Thanks,
11 >
12 > William
13 >
14 Replying to top level since it doesn't seem to fit elsewhere.
15
16 I have an external HDD that I use for periodic, air-gapped backups. I
17 use /dev/disk/by-label for it. With that support being removed (or
18 rather, problematic for some system configurations), which method is
19 most future-proof? I saw mention of UUIDs; is that what we should switch to?
20
21 In my case, it's a removable drive so it may be assigned to something
22 besides sdc at times.
23 --
24 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
25 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
26 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6