From: Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: stable gcc 5.4.0 ??
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 22:52:49
1 On Thu, Apr 20, 2017, at 17:17 CDT, "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > ...fun !NOT. If you're doing a fresh install, ***WITH A GCC5-BUILT
4 > INSTALL CD AND STAGE 3***, then yes, go for it. But changing horses in
5 > mid-stream can be painfull. Would it hurt to stay with 4.9.4 for the
6 > time being, assuming that you're not using prebuilt stuff like
7 > firefox-bin or libreoffice-bin? What would be the best way to go about
8 > it?
9
10 The technical discussion how to proceed with the new C++ abi happend two
11 years ago. We decided to do the only sensible thing in switching to the
12 new C++ abi. (And hopefully only see very minor issues in ABI
13 incompatibilities later on.)
14
15 It unfortunately involves rebuilding parts of your userland.
18 > A) Would 5.4.0 be slotted separately, and 4.9.4 left as the default?
19 > B) Add "-D_GLIBCXX_USE_CXX11_ABI=0" to CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS
20 > C) Mask out ">sys-devel/gcc-4.99"
21 > D) Allow "--with-default-libstdcxx-abi=gcc4-compatible" via a USE flag?
22
23 (A-C) gcc-5.4.0 and gcc-4.9.4 are slotted separately. What is going to
24 be the default is entirely up to you. If overriding the ABI via (B) is
25 such a great idea is yours to decide.
26
27 (D) will definitely not happen.
30 > Maybe we should what many enterprises do with Windows; i.e. skip a
31 > version and go straight to gcc-6.
32
33 No. We already stabilized gcc-5. A future stabilization of gcc-6/7 won't
34 be nearly as painful as this one. There is no reason to skip something.
37 Best,
38 Matthias