From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: OpenPGP verification (was Re: [gentoo-dev] Git, GPG Signing, and Manifests)
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 09:48:57
1 On 07/17/2015 10:18 AM, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
2 > On 07/17/2015 03:13 AM, NP-Hardass wrote:
3 >
4 >> Additionally, I feel that a signature is a means of acknowledging
5 >> that a package has been looked over, and that developer has stated
6 >> that they approve of the existing state. I'm not sure if others
7 >> agree with that sentiment,
8 >
9 > I appreciate that you bring up this point. I would expect that part of
10 > that state is for the developer to verify the source distfile from
11 > upstream using OpenPGP / GnuPG as well, i.e not just rely on TOFU
12 > (trust on first use). This also means keeping a (locally) certified
13 > copy of the upstream distribution key that is reasonably verified by
14 > the developer.
17 This really depends. In general, a signed commit can and should only say
18 that the _patch_ comes from or was approved by a particular person. If
19 it's a version bump on a single package, you can probably assume that he
20 had a rough lookover. But you can't expect the same when e.g. the python
21 herd has to do mass commits because of USE flag changes.
22
23 That "approve of existing state" thing is rather implicit in a review
24 workflow, where the package maintainer does the merge. We currently
25 don't have any plans to enforce this globally, so signatures just say
26 "this patch comes from...".