From: Steve Dibb <beandog@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: File collisions
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 17:07:51
1 > On 20/04/07, Joshua Jackson <tsunam@g.o> wrote:
2 >>
3 >> Rob C wrote:
4 >> >
5 >> >
6 >> > On 19/04/07, *Christian Faulhammer* <opfer@g.o
7 >> > <mailto:opfer@g.o>> wrote:
8 >> >
9 >> > Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk
10 >> > <mailto:slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>>:
11 >> >
12 >> > > On the issue of QA, I think enabling FEATURES="collision-detect"
13 >> by
14 >> > > default would do a lot more good at this stage than "test".
15 >> >
16 >> > Arch teams normally have collision-protect enabled when doing
17 >> > keywording/stabling....in my eyes this is sufficient.
18 >> >
19 >> > V-Li
20 >> >
21 >> >
22 >> > Its obviously not, Many users are reporting file-collisions on a
23 >> > weekly basis. So either this isn't sufficient or the arch teams are
24 >> > not acting as you describe.
25 >> >
26 >> > -Rob
27 >> >
28 >> Rob,
29 >>
30 >> Please watch it when saying that the arch teams are not acting as
31 >> described. I can tell you that we catch what comes to us. We don't get
32 >> every single package pushed on us as some never go through stable
33 >> testing, and we don't have every single package installed(that's
34 >> unrealistic). If they do then if there is a collision a note is filed in
35 >> the bug and we wait for a fix, as it actually does bail you out of the
36 >> build. This has been the mantra of at least x86 since the creation of
37 >> the team.
41 > It strikes me that people are often a little too sensative to any possible
42 > doubts or aspersions that may be cast there way.
43 >
44 > Taken in context I can't see why anyone would have a problem with what I
45 > wrote. Either arch's are acting as described and the issue persists in
46 > which
47 > case the action is not sufficient OR the pescribed action is sufficent but
48 > not always undertaken or performed. I cant see how it can be both.
49
50 Well there is still the alternative option that the prescribed action is
51 sufficient, but it doesn't catch every corner case because that would be
52 unrealistic, so bugs are going to get reported.
53
54 Steve
55 --
56 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list