From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] suggestion portage ebuild system file modification rights and protection
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 17:21:30
1 On Monday 08 September 2003 04:08, Jan Krueger wrote:
2 >
3 > Thats true for many open-source project. Some of them just try to get
4 > organized more efficiently and succeed in doing so.
5 > So, maybe there is a more appropriate organization model for gentoo?
6
7 As one of the people responsible for the gentoo orginisation I can say that we
8 are working on reorganizing gentoo. But gentoo as an organisation with over
9 150 developers and even more contributors is not exactly like a speedboat
10 that can make sharp turns. It is more like an ocean liner that needs a long
11 time to make a turn. Changes will be comming, and we try to implement them as
12 fast as possible, but we are talking about changing mindsets and operation of
13 people. Such things take time, lots of time. Further most people involved
14 with gentoo are doing this voluntarilly. We cannot put all our available time
15 into gentoo. We have jobs and other responsibilities too.
18 > I say:
19 > portage must respect my system inegrity!
20
21 There is no 100% safe way for system integrity. The sandbox certainly is not a
22 perfect solution. One could use staticly compiled binaries to circumvent them
23 or mounts or whatever. If a package wants to do evil portage cannot stop it
24 at all. Nor does it aim to, or should it aim to. For those systems that have
25 that much security concerns one musth use quaranteening and things like
26 selinux or the like together with something like tripwire. Those technologies
27 are much better suited to the job than portage which would become
28 unmaintainable if it would need to include many tricks and workarounds for
29 specific hacks (as there is no universal way to block attacks)
32 > > So we should never be able to tweak config files et al in an ebuild?
33 >
34 > an ebuild may freely modify its own config files.
35 > modification of config files not belonging to the ebuild should be done via
36 > an already suggested, secure abstraction, lets say a function like:
37 > changeconf phph.ini "line to add to phpini"
38 > portage could then intercept, respecting the suggested CONFIG_EXCLUDE or
39 > other user settings, or, if no user setting is the way, go to apply the
40 > change. This way it would be impossible for the ebuild to wipe php.ini.
41 > Also the user, via CONFIG_EXCLUDE, may completely switch of editing of
42 > php.ini by ebuilds. On the other hand, if the user doesnt care, the ebuild
43 > is free to add this line to php.ini.
46 What in those cases where not updating a configuration file (esp. one that is
47 not supposed to be edited by humans at all) would result in a bug, or even
48 worse a security issue. Yes, I believe that that could happen.
49
50 Paul
53 Paul de Vrieze
54 Gentoo Developer