From: Joshua Brindle <method@g.o>
To: wolf31o2@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE="acl" in profiles
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 13:45:35
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, 2004-09-20 at 12:41, Benjamin Judas wrote:
4 >
5 >>There is a slight problem regarding the USE-Settings in the profiles:
6 >>
7 >>GRP_STAGE23_USE="ipv6 pam tcpd readline nls ssl gpm perl python berkdb acl ncurses"
8 >>
9 >>As you can see, this defines acl. Now:
10 >>
11 >>USE="x86 oss apm arts avi berkdb bitmap-fonts crypt cups encode foomaticdb gdbm
12 >>gif gpm gtk gtk2 imlib jpeg kde gnome libg++ libwww mad mikmod motif mpeg ncurses
13 >>nls oggvorbis opengl pam pdflib png python qt quicktime readline sdl slang spell
14 >>ssl svga tcpd truetype X xml2 xmms xprint xv zlib"
15 >>
16 >>This doesn't define acl.
17 >>
18 >>This could break things if users don't set USE="acl" on bootstrap/emerge system.
19 >>Possible solutions could be to either remove acl from GRP_STAGE23_USE or add it to
20 >>USE. The first solution would cause everybody using acl to not be able to install without
21 >>any problems. Putting it into USE would cause an overhead for everybody. The overhead
22 >>doesn't seem to be that big, but...well...it's an overhead.
23 >>
24 >>What do you think about it and how do you think this should be solved?
27 > We should not remove the ability to install using acl. I also think
28 > that it is required for somethings (hardened?) and should stay. I think
29 > my main problem is I don't understand how the situation is broken.
30 > Could you perhaps paint a better picture for me (and all the other
31 > devs)?
34 acl has nothing to do with hardened, it isn't needed for selinux and we
35 don't support it.
36
37 further, we have our own stages and profile and therefore it wouldn't be
38 an issue anyway.
39
40 I don't think acl's should be included by default, the acl users must be
41 an incredibly small number and it doesn't make sense to built it into
42 stage 2,3 anyway (probably).
43
44 Joshua
47 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list