From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Request for Help
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 21:42:32
1 hello folks.....
2
3 I'm a tad of a bit irritated right now. the Gnome team has changed the
4 ftp layout completely, and Now every download for a gnome package will
5 fail from gnome or their updated mirrors.
6
7 the update work is harsh since the system is harder to script than
8 before.
9
10 in this example I'll use "gdm" which is currently at version
11 2.4.0.11
12
13 for example, we now have to link:
14 ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/2.0.x/sources/gdm/gdm-2.4.0.11.tar.bz2
15 ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/2.0.x/sources/${PN}/${P}.tar.bz2
16
17 Where we now will have to refer to :
18 ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources/gdm/2.4/gdm-2.4.0.11.tar.bz2
19
20 to make this simple across updates is impossible due to the "2.4" which
21 will have to either add extra logic to the ebuild, or be manually set
22 between major versions.
23
24 well, this will be "simple" .. its only the question of a couple of
25 man-hours to manually go through all our gnome packages and changing
26 SRC_URI ... happy happy fscking JOY!
27
28 Example:
29 gdm-2.4.0.11 :
30 mirror://gnome/sources/${PN}/2.4/${P}.tar.bz2
31
32 Now.. .for my main source of irritation and something I'd require help
33 with. in this update, they also saw fit to remove the /latest directory,
34 which previously had a nice "sort by date" in the http interface, and
35 thus was really simple to keep abreast with added and changed packages
36 between our tree and theirs.. Now this is the question of listing all
37 packages one by one for each "major" version and checking against our
38 supported versions. as you can imagine this is nothing I look forward
39 to doing.
40
41 So, I request the help of the creative scripters in the -dev list to
42 come up with a way to track changes in a ftp tree between two days, and
43 listing the new packages between dates.
44
45 ls */*/*.tar* >$DATE ; diff $DATE(TODAY) $DATE(TODAY-1) :
46 or something ;)
49 regards,
50 Spider
51 irate developer
55 begin .signature
56 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
58 end