From: Tobias Scherbaum <dertobi123@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The Plethora of Patches
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 22:23:53
1 Santiago M. Mola wrote:
2 > On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 12:02 AM, Tobias Scherbaum
3 > <dertobi123@g.o> wrote:
4 > > Santiago M. Mola wrote:
5 > >
6 > >> However, tracking the status of every patch since its inclusion in
7 > >> portage until it's removed would be a huge work overhead... and I
8 > >> doubt it's worthy.
9 > >
10 > > I don't think it's a huge work overhead, it'll take an additional minute
11 > > per included patch to include a minimal description into the ebuild(s)
12 > > and use a standardized header for the patch. Compared to the time one
13 > > needs to spend when searching for information on that patch somewhen
14 > > later on it's worth every minute.
17 > Of course, puting a header with info in every patch is not a work
18 > overhead and I'd say it should be policy. What I meant is that it's no
19 > worth to track the status of every patch after it's added, as was
20 > suggested.
21
22 Agreed. Everyone of us is doing some kind of status tracking for each
23 and every patch at least for every version bump, additional status
24 tracking like Andrew suggested would be a good thing (tm) but is plain
25 impossible to realize for now given the fact we're lacking the needed
26 manpower.
27
28 Tobias